The following is reprinted with permission from the American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA). Interstate is an AMSA-certified Professional Mover. You can learn more about AMSA by visiting their website at www.moving.org.
The American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA) values the health and safety not only of our staff and members but also consumers who have plans to move within the near future.
We recommend that consumers and movers regularly check resources like the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to stay up to date on the latest news regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.
Under current federal rules, movers can continue to operate their businesses. However, state governments are – each in their unique way – enforcing social distancing and restricting permitted businesses operations to services they deem as, “essential.”
The moving company that you have chosen or will choose to work with will alert you if there are any disruptions in service as a result of federal or state actions. We encourage consumers to work directly with movers to determine the best time and method to move.
Steps Consumers Can Take When Preparing and Planning Their Move:
- For the health of your family and moving crew, please follow CDC guidelines. To help stop the spread of the #OmicronVariant, we’re asking our customers (and our employees) to please wear masks while our #moving crews are in your #home or #workplace.
- Give movers the chance to serve you in the safest way possible. Notify them ahead of time if anyone in your household may have contracted coronavirus, or may have been exposed to someone who has.
- Check your professional mover’s website and feel free to ask questions on how they are mitigating the health risks of COVID-19.
- Some professional movers can provide virtual estimates, rather than in-home. If this is your preference, please check with your mover to see if they offer this option.
- Try to provide your moving crew access to a sink, soap and paper towels throughout your move. If this isn’t practical, and it is readily available, provide hand sanitizer.
- If you plan to prepack any items, purchase new moving boxes and tape from your mover; this isn’t the time to use recycled boxes from online sources, or from stores.
- Your mover may also have plastic bins available for rental. Wipe down the interior and exterior with a disinfecting wipe before packing items in them.
- If you have shelf-stable food you plan to throw out to lighten your load, consider donating them to Move For Hunger to help feed people within your community.
- Consider deep cleaning your new home before unpacking to mitigate further the risk of contracting the virus.
For the latest information on Interstate’s Coronavirus safety and preparedness steps, please click here.
Source: Guidance for Consumers Moving During the Coronavirus Outbreak. (2020, April 8). Retrieved April 16, 2020, from https://www.moving.org/